Wednesday 25 April 2012

Divergent Review

Rating: ♥♥♥♥




Add It To Goodreads



In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.

 Review

Divergent falls in the middle between Matched (by Ally Condie) and The Hunger Games, only it ventures out into it's own story. I'm comparing it to these books because in Divergent, they have factions and different rules just like the districts in the hunger games, and all three books have some sort of higher power tying to control everyone else. That's pretty much where the similarities end.

I actually didn't end up really liking it until about the middle of the book, when things really start picking up and Beatrice/Tris starts turning things around and learns to stick up for herself. One of the main things that kept me reading was the relationship between Tris and Four, just something about it made me want more. I didnt mind most of the characters, but I think some of hem could have had a little more depth to them. I was sad when we lost a few characters, not so sad about others and some I wish hadn't made it but did.

There's a lot of heart-thumping, page turning action, especially nearing the end of the novel. I wasn't sure if I was going to end up reading the 2nd book, Insurent, but after reading the last few pages, I HAVE to know what happens next! Glad I don't have to wait long, since it's out next month. And just to be clear, it's maybe only half as good as the hunger games, but still a pretty good read. 




1 comment:

  1. Glad that you liked it, even when the beginning wasn't so good in your opinion. I still haven't read this one, but I hear so many great things about it, I think I must not ignore it anymore :p

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...